07 November 2009

Things people ask me

People ask me a lot of questions. Some of them relate to a massage that they are an active participant. Some of them relate to other clients. Here is a sampling:

1. Do I have to get undressed?
1a. Can/Should I leave my bra/underwear/socks/pants/shirt/etc on?

No, you don't have to get undressed. I've certainly worked on a number of people who have remained fully clothed (and I've also had a number of clients who half-undress). It's important that you do what you have to in order to feel comfortable, relaxed and safe. When someone wears clothes on the table, it does change how I work (no oil, for example, and more compressive/fewer-to-no gliding techniques), and also how frequently I check in with them about certain things (e.g. "Is it ok for me to unhook your bra to work on your back, or would you prefer I work around it?").

2. "I'm sorry. I didn't shave my legs/pits."

This isn't so much a question, but something the ladies say quite frequently. Let me assure you: I don't care. Seriously. I've never had a male client apologize for a single thing about their body (well, maybe profuse sweat in mid-August, but even still that's been rare). Body hair doesn't bother me. My massage table is the place where I hope you show up and feel completely accepted as you are.


3. Do you think it's gross if I don't wear underwear?


No
.

4. Have your clients ever gotten erections/been inappropriate?


Sadly, I've dealt with some sketchy clients, but luckily they've kept their boners to themselves. Knock on wood (no pun intended).

5. Can you break someone's bones doing massage?

Only if they've got osteoporosis. I'm far more likely to injure myself doing massage.

Five seems like a good stopping point, plus I have other non-bloggy things to do with my life. Enjoy your lovely November day!







No comments:

Post a Comment