13 July 2009

The "Long Weekend" Massage

Many years ago, before I was a massage therapist, I used to visit my friend/MT, Susan Liao, every 3 weeks for an hour-long massage. At some point, I decided I needed a longer session, so I booked a 90-minute massage.

I remember, distinctly, being on the table. My internal clock was tick-tocking, and right around the time I was expecting Susan to lean over and tell me our time was up, the session kept going.

"It's like a long weekend," I thought, "that moment on Sunday when, instead of mentally switching gears back to your work-week, you realize you have a whole 'nother day to breathe."

These days, a 90-minute massage is what I go for if I want a full-body session. It gives the therapist an opportunity to thoroughly address any problem areas while tying in the non-problem areas; it gives my muscles a chance to really take in the work; and it's like a long weekend.

:)

So--if you've been exclusively booking 60-minute sessions, I invite you to think outside the box. Try a 75- or a 90-minute session and see if it works for you (and if you have your own "long-weekend-aha!" moment, please let me know!). If you've been putting off bodywork because of time or money--but your ______ is really troubling you--see if you can get a 30-minute treatment focusing on alleviating that pain or discomfort. Or, heck, go find yourself a 10- or 15-minute chair massage (Need a tip? You can find my colleague, Morgan, providing chair massage at the Copley Sq Farmers' Market).

Time for me to start packing up to leave the island and head back to Boston. Stay well!

No comments:

Post a Comment